good day to buy 30" monitor

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Jun 25 14:47:04 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 09:54:24PM -0400, James Knott wrote:
> Does the DVD player or wide screen TV produce the bars?  After all, when
> receiving a standard definition signal from another source, such as
> broadcast or VCR, the bars appear, but are not from the source.

The DVD player produces the bars on the top and bottom.  The widescreen TV
would be responsible for the bars on the sides when showing non wide stuff.

> With a DVD player I have, it was configured for 16:9, but stretching was
> still necessary.

Well then either the DVD player doesn't send a signal about the aspect
ratio it is outputting, or the TV doesn't receive it/understand it.

Certainly HDMI makes that stuff much more standard and it just works
in general.

--
Len Sorensen