build configure script error

Marc Lanctot lanctot-yfeSBMgouQgsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Wed Jun 24 18:41:41 UTC 2009

On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 11:27:02 -0700 (PDT)
Rajinder Yadav <devguy-DaQTI0RpDDMAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> I took care of installing the devel pack for them, but since I also
> built them from source I would suspect 'make install' copied all the
> libs, header files, etc into the correct places (going by memory as I
> type):

Wait a sec -- if you installed the devel packages then you don't need
to build them from source.. that's what installing the dev packages
permit you to bypass.

Normally, they get installed in the proper default locations (when
installing the dev packages) so ./configure should find the right
headers if you have them installed. Sometimes it doesn't, so you have
to pass the appropriate --with-lib=/some/location (this is the "right"
way to do it... that way the compiler+link flags are put right into the
Makefile so you don't have to manually set CFLAGS and LDFLAGS).

My guess is you still don't have the right header, which the output of
config.log will reveal.

With the missing header(s) we can determine which dev package you're
missing or not pointing to properly. What distro are you doing this
on? This could help us find the right dev packages.. some distros have
a web service that find you the package given the specific file name.

Marc

--
When someone says, "I want a programming language in which I need only
say what I want done," give him a lollipop.