NAS, RAID, and Linux

Asaf Maruf asafmaruf-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Jun 23 15:37:20 UTC 2009

Openfiler.com provides a decent Linux based NAS with good manageability.
Provides targets for iscsi as well as FC.

The software is open source, runs on COTS.

Asaf

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 10:50 AM, Stephen W. Clarke <stephenc-wtWqQT8woy8 at public.gmane.org>wrote:

> The Thecus 1U4500 is a rackmount unit that has everything except ssh
> access.
>
> Stephen
>
> On Tue, June 23, 2009 10:54, Tyler Aviss wrote:
> > Does anyone here have an recommendations along the following lines (in
> > order of importance)
> >
> > * NAS drive enclosure
> > * Linux-friendly
> > * 1GB/s+ transfer (1x1GB or dual/bonded)
> > * Reliable
> > * RAID-1
> > * RAID-5 (if >2 disks)
> > * Convenient size
> > * Somewhat low power consumption
> > * Reads drives up to 1.5TB+
> > * Runs Linux and/or accessible via SSH (sshfs)
> > * Data encryption
> > * Printserver
> > * Additional eSATA port(s)
> > * Additonal USB port(s)
> >

> > So far the contenders are (and anyone who can chime in who has
> > experience with these, please do):
> >
> > * a QNAP TS209-2 or TS409 storage device. I found one place that sells
> > these near Toronto, and plenty on eBay
> >
> http://www.btecanada.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=QNAP
> >  (more known vendors in the TO area welcome)
> >

> > * a DROBO NAS
> > http://www.drobo.com/products/drobo.php
> >

> > * Custom hardware (mini-ITX box, recommendations?) running FreeNAS
> > http://www.freenas.org
> >

> > --
> > Tyler Aviss
> > Systems Support
> > LPIC/LPIC-2
> > (778) 890-0942
> > --
> > The Toronto Linux Users Group.      Meetings: http://gtalug.org/

> Stephen W. Clarke
> Marketing and Communications Officer
> Nray Services Inc.
> 56A Head Street
> Dundas, ON L9H 3H7
> CANADA
>
> (905) 627-1302 x14

twitter.com/asaf

LinkedIn Profile:
http://www.linkedin.com/in/asafmaruf
Henny Youngman<http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/h/henny_youngman.html>
- "I told the doctor I broke my leg in two places. He told me to quit
going
to those places."