Extracting soundtrack from DVD

Meng Cheah meng-R6A+fiHC8nRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Mon Jun 22 09:37:43 UTC 2009

Ed F. McCurdy wrote:

>     Meng> Hi I want to extract the soundtrack from an old movie on DVD
>
> After mounting the dvd on /mnt/cdrom, this will dump the audio
> from the 3rd title on the DVD into out.mp3.
>
> mplayer dvd://3 -dvd-device /mnt/cdrom -vo null -dumpaudio -dumpfile out.mp3

I changed it to mplayer dvd://1 -vo null -dumpaudio -dumpfile out.mp3
> Hope that helps....
> Ed

Thanks to all who responded.

Mencoder and mplayer can extract the soundtrack from the DVD.
The incantations below work, at least for me :-)

mplayer /media/cdrom0/VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_1.VOB -ao pcm:file=audio.wav -vc
dummy -aid 128 -vo null

mencoder dvd://1 -ovc frameno -oac mp3lame -lavcopts
acodec=mp3lame:abitrate=128 -o frameno.avi

mplayer dvd://1 -vo null -dumpaudio -dumpfile out.mp3

mplayer dvd://1 -aid 128 -vo null -ao pcm:file='ice2.wav'

So far, I've only been able to play the extracted soundtrack in audacity
if it's a .wav file.
I'll look further at mplayer, mencoder and audacity.
Thanks again, guys.

Meng