Linux on Netbooks (NOT!), was: Globe & Mail article on FOSS use by Cdn gov't

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Jun 21 15:12:41 UTC 2009

| From: Darryl Moore <darryl-90a536wCiRb3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org>

| On a related note, I came across this link by way of slashdot.
|
| http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20090619161307529

Very interesting!

I had kind of wondered what was going on when I read a report from
Computex.  This amplifies my concerns.  I would not say it was a
proof.

Here's another topic that might be FUD and might not be: return rates
of Linux netbooks vs WinXP netbooks.

I remmber MSI saying that "The return rate is at least four times
higher for Linux netbooks than Windows XP netbooks."
  http://blog.laptopmag.com/msi-wind-coming-to-major-retailer-new-models-coming-soon
Apparently the Linux was SuSE.

Apparently Ubuntu confirmed high return rates (but they don't know
WinXP return rates):
  http://blog.laptopmag.com/ubuntu-confirms-linux-netbook-returns-higher-than-anticpated

Yet I remember that Dell said that Linux was not worse than WinXP for
them:
  http://netbookboards.com/dell/mini-9-netbook-running-ubuntu-returned-less-than-xp/
They use a version of Ubuntu LTS 8.04.

Here's an interesting article:
  http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9131204
About the MSI statement, it said:
    Solis said in a March research note that Taiwan's MSI had not yet
    shipped a Linux-based Wind at the time of the comment to the magazine.
    When it did, it did not "adapt" the operating system for the netbook's
    smaller size -- a key ingredient to Linux's acceptance by consumers,
    Solis wrote.