64 bit linux on Intel T9600

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Jun 19 18:35:56 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 02:13:10PM -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> My impression has been that there is some kind of stratification in
> the low powered world.  I welcome correction.  I'm not really plugged
> into this world.
>
> Atom for x86 with designs that match what Intel wants you to do.
> Note: you need a license to use the Atom and it restricts what you can
> do!
>
> Via for x86 with more design freedom, longer term.
>
> AMD Geode for x86: older designs (roadmap has ended).  Slower than
> others but also lower power consumption.  OLPC XO uses it but the
> future is cloudy.

The athlon NX isn't too bad (Athlon XP essentially), and there is an
embedded opteron line too.

> PowerPC for lots of CPU power.  Good for games apparently, but only if
> plugged into a wall socket.  Dominates automotive, I hear.  It also is
> important in supercomputers, probably for PPW reasons.

Freescale makes lots of powerpcs that use much less power than the atom.

> SPARC for some things.  For example, in some Scientific Atlanta cable
> set-top boxes (like one I have from Rogers).  My impression is that
> this market is slipping away.

I suspect that's a long long time ago.  Sparc used to have use in
printers and other things as an embedded controller.  I haven't seen
that for years though.  The last time I saw/used one was inside a kodak
dyesub printer which would be well over 10 years old these days.

> BlackFin?
>
> SuperH?

Certainly some use in embedded designs.  Pretty decent linux support too.
The SuperH used to have some use in game consoles, but that's a while
ago now.

> The rest are used mostly in SoC (System on chip) systems.  That means
> that the processor is integrated with other stuff on-chip.  These are
> often low power in both sense.
>
> ARM (I see this in smartphones, PDAs, home routers, for example; I
> even have one on an old 3COM PCI network card that I picked up)
>
> MIPS (32-bit, I think) (some early PDAs -- MS stopped supporting it in
> WinCE; some routers, I think)

Most wireless routers are MIPS these days, as are china's own cpu
(loongson) these days (which make anything intel makes look like a joke
when it comes to performance per watt).

> ATMEL AVR, AVR32
>
> PIC
>
> lots of misc other ancient things (80xx, 63xx, ...)

Some of those are pretty old and small, although still in use in some
cases.

--
Len Sorensen