64 bit linux on Intel T9600

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Jun 19 18:13:10 UTC 2009

| From: Tyler Aviss <tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>

| I tend to see powerPC in most cases where PPW (Processing Power per
| WATT) seems to be a bigger concern. Definitely a big issue on any
| battery-powered embedded device, and often in gaming computers or
| large machines where heat output (and/or noisy fans) becomes a
| considerable factor.

My impression has been that there is some kind of stratification in
the low powered world.  I welcome correction.  I'm not really plugged
into this world.

Atom for x86 with designs that match what Intel wants you to do.
Note: you need a license to use the Atom and it restricts what you can
do!

Via for x86 with more design freedom, longer term.

AMD Geode for x86: older designs (roadmap has ended).  Slower than
others but also lower power consumption.  OLPC XO uses it but the
future is cloudy.

PowerPC for lots of CPU power.  Good for games apparently, but only if
plugged into a wall socket.  Dominates automotive, I hear.  It also is
important in supercomputers, probably for PPW reasons.

SPARC for some things.  For example, in some Scientific Atlanta cable
set-top boxes (like one I have from Rogers).  My impression is that
this market is slipping away.

BlackFin?

SuperH?

The rest are used mostly in SoC (System on chip) systems.  That means
that the processor is integrated with other stuff on-chip.  These are
often low power in both sense.

ARM (I see this in smartphones, PDAs, home routers, for example; I
even have one on an old 3COM PCI network card that I picked up)

MIPS (32-bit, I think) (some early PDAs -- MS stopped supporting it in
WinCE; some routers, I think)

ATMEL AVR, AVR32

PIC

lots of misc other ancient things (80xx, 63xx, ...)