64 bit linux on Intel T9600

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Jun 19 16:56:03 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 9:37 AM, Lennart
Sorensen<lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 12:27:07PM -0400, Christopher Browne wrote:
>> On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 10:48 AM, Jamon
>> Camisso<jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> > But I'm sure that all IA-64 has caused anyone is headache, heartache, a hole
>> > in their wallet, and no small amount of confusion when it comes to
>> > x86_64/amd64. The question comes up a few times a day in various distros'
>> > irc channels.
>>
>> I think this isn't even *remotely* the important heartache that fell from IA-64.
>>
>> The *important* heartaches relate to the effective "deaths" of all the
>> other 64 bit architectures, and, related, the UNIX vendors.
>>
>> - HP stopped updating PA-RISC, throwing their support for ongoing
>> hardware enhancement directly into the "IA-64 pit"
>>
>> - Alpha and MIPS are fairly much curiosities
>>
>> - The only remaining 64 bit architectures that marginally remain are ...
>>
>> - PowerPC, which seems to be getting more mainframe-specific over time
>
> Actually powerpc is huge in embedded, gaming, and supercomputers, in
> addition to mainframes.

I tend to see powerPC in most cases where PPW (Processing Power per
WATT) seems to be a bigger concern. Definitely a big issue on any
battery-powered embedded device, and often in gaming computers or
large machines where heat output (and/or noisy fans) becomes a
considerable factor.

>> - SPARC, where it is unclear what Oracle will do with it
>
> Now that, who knows. :)
>
>> All of the above got *severely* "FUDded" by Gartner Group noises to
>> the effect that "IA-64 will replace *everything!!!" back in the late
>> '90s, and essentially nobody was prepared to commit anything to the
>> expectation that any of the above would survive the voyage of the
>> Itanic.
>
> --
> Len Sorensen

Tyler Aviss