64 bit linux on Intel T9600

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Fri Jun 19 14:48:21 UTC 2009

James Knott wrote:
> Stephen W. Clarke wrote:
>> I just came into possession of a Toshiba Tecra S10 laptop. I'd like to try
>> and run a 64 bit version of Linux on it but it appears that the Intel 64
>> architecture on the T9600 may make this a challenge.
>>
>> Will a distro made for amd64 work? or am I stuck with running a 32 bit
>> distro?
>>

> Unless it's an Itanium CPU, it will work fine.  The Intel X86-64 CPU
> borrowed the AMD instruction set.

we'd all be better of pretending like itanium never happened. I'd hazard
a guess that no more than a handful of people on this list have used
one. Maybe that's naive and it needed to happen to spur development of
the x86-64 instruction set, I dunno.

But I'm sure that all IA-64 has caused anyone is headache, heartache, a
hole in their wallet, and no small amount of confusion when it comes to
x86_64/amd64. The question comes up a few times a day in various
distros' irc channels.

Jamon