insmod insertion error: -1 Device or resource busy

bob 295 icanprogram-sKcZck+fQKg at public.gmane.org
Fri Jun 19 00:16:34 UTC 2009

On Thursday 18 June 2009 05:11 pm, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 05:01:22PM -0400, bob 295 wrote:
> > Been trying to install a driver for a Diamond A-D card.   insmod is
> > giving the above error.   What are the likely causes for such an error?
> > base address conflict?  IRQ conflict? other?
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
>
> Another driver already using device, driver not compatible with kernel,
> device not present, device broken.
>
> dmesg sometimes gives you clues.
>
> Only looking at the sources can tell you what can make it return -EBUSY,
> or whatever it is returning.

I'm currently starting this module by hand.

Looked through the source code for the module and found only one instance of
EBUSY in around some ioctl stuff.    However,  it is preceded by a printk
which I'm not seeing.

The init_module function contains the following block with no surrounding
printk:

	rc = register_chrdev(dscud_major, "dscud", &dscud_fops);
	if ( rc < 0 )
		return rc;

Could this generate the insmod insertion error I'm seeing?   Next opportunity
I'll add a printk for rc.    I'm guessing this might give me EBUSY.    If so
what could be the source of such an EBUSY response from register_chrdev()?

Thanks in advance again.

bob