64 bit linux on Intel T9600

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Thu Jun 18 19:44:57 UTC 2009

Stephen W. Clarke wrote:
> I just came into possession of a Toshiba Tecra S10 laptop. I'd like to try
> and run a 64 bit version of Linux on it but it appears that the Intel 64
> architecture on the T9600 may make this a challenge.
>
> Will a distro made for amd64 work? or am I stuck with running a 32 bit
> distro?

Any x86_64 (or amd64 in Debian & derivatives land) will work with a core
2 duo. Don't worry about Intel's attempt at branding 64 bit as their own
invention.
(http://alioth.debian.org/docman/view.php/30192/21/debian-amd64-howto.html#id250846
http://lists.debian.org/debian-amd64/2003/08/msg00031.html)

Jamon