aac metadata: chapters in m4b audiobooks?

Matt Price matt.price-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Thu Jun 18 12:32:14 UTC 2009

hey folks,

i'm converting a bunch of librivox audiobooks to aac-based "m4b" files.
Files named with this extension are read by my iPod as audiobooks,
enabling the ipod to remember where I was in the book when I last
stopped listening to the file.  this is great, and I use a little script
for the purpose, using mp3wrap to first join a sequence of mp3 filesi
nto one great big file, then converting the file into pcm and finally
aac.  the important part of the script looks like this:

mp3wrap AudioBookScript *.mp3
mplayer -vc null -vo null -ao pcm:nowaveheader:fast:file=AudioBookScript.pcm \
AudioBookScript_MP3WRAP.mp3
faac -R $SAMPLERATE -B 16 -C $CHANNELS -X -w -q 80 --artist "$AUTHOR" --album "$TITLE" \
--title "TITLE" --track "1" --genre "Spoken Word" --year "year" \
-o "$STRIPPEDTITLE.m4b" AudioBookScript.pcm

what I would love, though, is to somehow insert chapter marks into the
resultant aac file when it's reencoded.  I don't think it would be too
hard to generate a list of 'cut points' -- one way would be to simply
add up the times of the original, individual mp3 files, a better way
would be to use the index created by mp3wrap when it generates the large
file (can't understnad how to access that index yet, though).  Anyway,
my bigger problem is that i can't seem to fine an option in faac that
would allow me to add chapter information to the file.  does anyone know
how that information is stored, and where I might find it?

thanks much,

matt

--
Matt Price