Linux Networks & the Competition Act (Was: Fwd: [d at DCC] Competition Act)

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Tue Jun 16 19:09:11 UTC 2009

Darryl Moore wrote:
> MS is most definitely a monopoly on the business desktop. It has been
> proven in both US and EU courts.

Yes, but context was everything. The monopoly for which they were founnd
guilty is completely different from the nature of your charge. In the US
the punishment given was miniscule, and even that was pretty well
eliminated when Bush took over from Clinton. The EU is more aggressive,
but their complaint(s) so far have also been generally limited to issues
related to browser bundling.

> As far as charging more for the ability to run Windows on a VM, I believe that is covered under section 78 of the competition act

IANAL ... but neither are you.

How about geting an opinion from CIPPIC or the EFF, where they *do* have
the qualified legal ability to examine this (as well as any relevant
case law)....?

- Evan