Linux Networks & the Competition Act (Was: Fwd: [d at DCC] Competition Act)

S P Arif Sahari Wibowo arifsaha-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Jun 16 16:53:36 UTC 2009

On Tue, 16 Jun 2009, ted leslie wrote:
> - MS isn't a monopoly , it was, it is a big company that
> extorts (now), but a monopoly? saying its a monopoly (on OS),
> means you don't really think to highly of linux?

Monopoly does not mean the only one in the market, but that the
company has power (either from market share or any other way) to
exclusively control the market behaviour. At one time this
definitely true about Microsoft in personal computer and
business workstation market. Those power has erode somewhat
(thanks to Linux as well), but I am sure it is still not a free
market for all.

> - I did some reading years ago, and found some stuff that
> seemed to indicate MS agreements that running the cheaper
> copies on VM, may not be binding in Canada.

That will be interesting if it can be confirmed.

> from MS side, they don't like VM, because it allows licensing
> to be skirted a bit more, i.e. clone VM's. They get you on SP
> upgrades, and HW changes that trigger license "call ins", but
> in general it opens them up to having their wares cloned.

In the other hand, AFAIK the usage of virtualization may
actually cause the use of more Windows installation (separate VM
for each function).

> Mark Ubuntu says its clear extortion, I wonder why no one has
> been able to call MS on it?

Good question. :-)

--
    ____  ____  ____  ____ (stephan paul) Arif Sahari Wibowo