version-control/collaboration on odf documents?

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Mon Jun 15 17:52:30 UTC 2009

Rajinder Yadav wrote:
> I use Subversion (SVN) at work and home, the 2 front end UI clients on Linux are eSVN and RapindSVN.

There are many version control systems out there. But generally when
serving binary files, they lose much of their benefit (such as diffs).
Working with binary, most version control systems are little more than
glorified archivers and checksum comparers.

Now, the ODF file is a binary blob... but it's really just a zipped
collection of a bunch of files, many of which are XML content and which
*should* be able to benefit from text-based version control.

So _my_ refinement of the original question is: Can any of the existing
version control systems out there that are able to work with binary
files that
unzip into a bunch of files that can be stored in version control as text?

(there are other file formats that could benefit from such a facility)

- Evan