quad-64 CD/DVD

Zbigniew Koziol softquake-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Jun 15 16:20:13 UTC 2009

D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> | From: Zbigniew Koziol <softquake-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>
>
> | I can for instance boot from installation DVD, but after the successful(!)
> | installation I can not use the same DVD to view its content. The disk is
> | reported to be blank.
>
> OK, then not hardware.

No, this is not a hardware problem, not in its simplest form. I suspect
that something is wrong with haldaemon. I see nothing useful in dmesg.
The only message in /var/log/messages is :

Jun 15 11:13:44 localhost kernel: cdrom: This disc doesn't have any
tracks I recognize!

That happens after DVD is inserted.

I was able to mount/umount it as root, manually, but not as a user. I
added the proper entry in /etc/fstab

/dev/hda                /media/CDROM            iso9660 ro,noauto,users 0 0

That did not help either. I was still not able to mount it as user. I
checked for various file permissions and they looked ok.

After that, I added user to several groups:
/usr/sbin/usermod -G haldaemon -a zbych
/usr/sbin/usermod -G daemon -a zbych
/usr/sbin/usermod -G disk -a zbych

After these commands, I am able to mount it manually as user (but I do
not know which one of these 3 was needed).

However, when I insert DVD, it does not get mounted automatically. I can
however boot from that DVD.

I used before the same DVD to install the system on another 64 bit
computer and there everything went properly.

zb.