topics 2009 summer and autumn

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jun 10 16:08:38 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 5:20 PM, Richard Weait<richard-gNTHUr35LhcAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Tonight is the long-awaited, much anticipated GIMP presentation by
> Giles.
>
> 14 July will see our AD-replacement presentation that was much requested
> on the mailing list.
>
> August through December have no topics or presenters currently
> scheduled.  So speak up!
>
> What topics would you like to see/hear presented?
>
> What topics would you like to offer to present?

I'd like to see something on "clever use of screen"
   http://www.gnu.org/software/screen/

Notably with a view to knowing about stuff like:
- Connecting to existing sessions
  - Multiple user use, granting access
  - Multiple connections to a single session
- Automatically starting up processes tied to screen
- Copy/Paste
- Message line management
- Selecting windows, selecting sessions
- Customizing keystrokes (e.g. - C-a is an important command in Emacs!)

I'd be willing to do the talk, some time fall-ish...  Good excuse to
learn these bits that I need to know :-)
Josh Billings  - "Every man has his follies - and often they are the
most interesting thing he has got." -
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/j/josh_billings.html