Lenovo SL500 even cheaper now.

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Jun 9 23:38:49 UTC 2009

So the lovely laptop that I now have is now on sale again, except this
time the screen upgrades that were previously $150 are now free, so
even better.  I think my configuration is now $840(+tax).  For something
that just works with linux, this is hard to beat.

Details of the sale here:
http://www.redflagdeals.com/deals/main.php/alldeals/comments/hot_lenovo_15_off_sl400_sl500_thinkpad_notebooks_again_c2d_t6570_led_2gb_6/

Keys to linux support would be the intel 5100 wifi (cheap upgrade) and
the nvidia discrete graphics (much better performance than the intel too).
The intel video should work with linux, but some newer intels have
been problematic.

The fingerprint scanner should work with linux too although I haven't
tried it yet.  Webcam works fine as does bluetooth apparently (although
I didn't try that either yet).

Ram upgrads are much cheaper from canada computers than lenovo though.
The P8600 cpu is 25W while the Txxxx are 35W, so the upgrade inproves
battery life.

--
Len Sorensen