Linux desktop sluggish over time

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Mon Jun 8 23:47:30 UTC 2009

On 08/06/09 07:41 PM, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 08, 2009 at 04:58:46PM -0400, Dave Mason wrote:
>> The good news is the Flashblock add-on.  It makes Firefox work just fine
>> (i.e. doesn't automatically run flash, and hence it's much less of a
>> memory/cpu hog).  On the rare occasion that I actually want to run
>> flash, it's just a click away.
>
> noscript is another handy way to avoid flash and other annoyances that
> make firefox go leaky and crappy.

I used to run Flashblock but gave up on it when I found that it became
too much of a chore to selectively enable Flash when I needed to see
something in Flash. Unfortunately, many of our clients seem to think
that Flash is the greatest thing since sliced bread and use it
extensively. We use Javascript extensively on many of the sites we build
so disabling JS isn't an option either.

I've been using Google Chrome on Windows and it rarely goes off into the
weeds and when it does, it's as advertised, just the one tab. If, or
more likely, when, it offers some decent developer tools, like Firebug,
I'll be all over it.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay