Hosting High Traffic Sites for the mortals

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Jun 8 22:40:51 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 6:25 PM, William
Muriithi<william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> This is a question a friend just asked, and since I do not have any
> experience with the set up was not able to offer any answer. Thought someone
> here might have an answer or a good pointer.
>
> Would you know of a hosting company offering very user friendly management
> interface to a hardware that can handle very high load. Basically, the
> person who will be managing the site, will not have to be too technical. In
> another word, a box which he someone who is not technically inclined can
> upload web pages to and get millions of hits/day without problems

I don't think you can have Actual High Performance without there being
someone involved with management of the system that *is* technically
inclined.

Otherwise you run into Mitch Radcliffe's dictum:
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in
human history -- with the possible exception of handguns and tequila."

If the web site consists of simple, static content, then millions of
page hits per day may be quite easy to cope with.  But if that varies
*at all,* then all bets are off.

- If he wants dynamic content, then there will be Technical Complications
- If there *are* problems, for any reason, then there will be
Technical Complications

In effect, heavy traffic *IS* a technical complication, all by itself.
Steven Wright  - "It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to
paint it." - http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/s/steven_wright.html