Linux desktop sluggish over time

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Jun 8 17:46:05 UTC 2009

| From: S P Arif Sahari Wibowo <arifsaha-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>

| On Sat, 6 Jun 2009, cameron lord wrote:
| > It goes away if you remove all netscape based applications and librarys They
| > act like a fresh install!...sometimes :P
|
| If the issue is just application, should simply quitting those application
| solve it? How about running those application under ulimit?

In general, on UNIX-like systems, when a process terminates, all its
temporary resources are reclaimed by the system.

Lennart mentioned earlier that X isn't always able to do this.  I
don't know what resources may linger.

If the problem is that the kernel has gotten into a bad state, that
may not be recoverable.  In particular, once a system has gotten into
an OOM (Out Of Memory) state, it can do odd things that are hard to
fix (like killing critical daemons).

But we still don't have a clue why the system is sluggish.  We don't
even know if the cause is resource exhaustion.