Linux desktop sluggish over time

Alex Beamish talexb-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Jun 5 19:42:38 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 2:16 PM, Marc Lanctot<lanctot-yfeSBMgouQgsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Considering my experience with Linux this seems to be a problem a should
> have fixed by now, but it's an problem I'm growing particularly annoyed
> with.
>
> I notice that over time Linux desktops I use tend to get sluggish. I know
> this is true for at least Ubuntu and Fedorah. I don't remember feeling it as
> much on Debian, but it's been a while.

I use Windowmaker as my desktop, and about the only thing that slows
it down to a crawl is Thunderbird. At work I have a dual core
processor, so while one core is getting monopolized by TBird, the
other core is doing Everything Else. At home I have a regular single
core, so TBird hogs my machine for 30-45 seconds on startup (login, I
guess I should say), and sometimes when downloading messages.

I leave my machine on for months -- right now I think it's been up for
90 days. I log out after each session; I assume that cleans a few
things up.

See if you have the same slowness when TBird isn't running -- that's my vote.

--
Alex Beamish
Toronto, Ontario