Dell sells EBook reader based on Linux

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Jun 5 19:10:03 UTC 2009

http://accessories.dell.com/sna/products/Gadgets_Internet_Devices/productdetail.aspx?c=ca&l=en&s=dhs&cs=cadhs1&sku=A2845831

This is $260 this week, $40 off normal.

This is called the "Libre Electronic Book Reader Pro" by Aluratek.

EBook readers are usually infested with DRM.  I have no idea if this one
is.

Things that I noted:

- OS is Linux (but does not imply that it is hackable)

- only 640 x 480 display (less than my Nokia n800)

- Arm9 processor at 200MHz; 1GB flash; 32MB RAM

- battery supports "up to 22 hours" of continuous use.

- 227g

- Formats Supported : HTML, EBA, EBAML (EBA2.0), TXT, PDF, BMP, JPG, GIF,
  Animated GIF, MP3

Note: Expected Release Date: July 24th 2009