UPDATE: CentOS Project Administrator Goes AWOL

Michael Lauzon mlauzon-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Jul 31 14:57:54 UTC 2009

The following is now posted on the CentOS.org site:

"Facts Regarding CentOS and the Open Letter to Lance Davis":

* CentOS is not dead or going away. The signers of the Open Letter are
fully committed to continue the CentOS Project. Updates and new
releases will continue.

* The issues raised in the Open Letter have been raised privately
literally for years and a voluntary resolution had been hoped for and
worked toward. But progress requires follow through. We have tried
contacting Lance in private for a long period of time before this Open
Letter. While we received promises, there was no real response or
follow through from him on promises made. We are sure he is not dead,
on vacation, or sick. Once we all decided there was no movement in the
matter we created the Open Letter. This is not something that appeared
just recently.

* We would really like to continue the project using the centos.org
domain. That is one of the reasons for the Open Letter. But the
developers will move to another domain if there is no other option.
Protective backups are in place; hot machines exist to allow for a
cutover with a simple one time installation of one RPM package. We
continue to refine our plans if this might be the case, to make the
transition as smooth as possible.

* We thank the people who have stepped forward and want to donate to
the CentOS project to hold off for now until issues surrounding the
centos.org domain and donation policy are resolved. Selected donations
will be privately solicited by the signers of the Open Letter on some
transition matters. We will post general instructions on how you can
help the project as matters become resolved.

* The CentOS project is run completely by volunteers and we are aware
that this requires a different management style. We have been and
continue to work to prevent issues like these from occurring in the
future. We will continue this effort in the future, but the matters
mentioned in the Open Letter prevent us from moving forward at this
moment, as they need to be resolved first.

--
Sincerely,

Michael Lauzon