Screen Blanking in X

Thu Jul 30 19:40:22 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 03:25:17PM -0400, Rajinder Yadav wrote:
>On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 3:10 PM, Aviss,Tyler<tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> KDE/gnome both have their own powersaving stuff too, I had to override them
>> for stuff on my systems. Maybe there?
>>
>> (sent from my phone, so please excuse the typos)
>>
>> On 29-Jul-09, at 9:59 AM, William O'Higgins Witteman
>> <william.ohiggins-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>>
>>> I am trying to turn off the powersaving features of X, specifically
>>> screen blanking, display powerdown etc.
>>>
>>> I do this because I turn off my monitor when I am not in front of it,
>>> but when I turn it back on, I want it to come right back.  Also, when I
>>> am watching something I don't want the screen to blank while I'm in the
>>> middle.
>>>
>>> I started here:
>>>
>>> http://www.shallowsky.com/linux/x-screen-blanking.html
>>>
>>> and updated my xorg.conf with this:
>>>
>>>  Option      "BlankTime" "0"
>>>  Option      "Standby" "0"
>>>  Option      "Suspend" "0"
>>>  Option      "OffTime" "0"
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, this is not doing the trick - it is still in a
>>> screen-blanked state when I return to it later.  (Yes, I restarted X,
>>> but good idea.)
>>>
>>> Does anyone know where else this might be set?  (Debian testing is the
>>> distro.)  Thanks.

>Doesn't the kernel take care of APM settings, is it not compiled in
>and managed through your system settings as already mentioned?

APM has gone by the wayside some time ago for most things.  As for
"system settings", those only apply if you are running a desktop
environment like KDE, Gnome or XFCE.  I use a plain window manager
(Openbox) and there aren't any settings.  It looks like Lennart was on
the right track by pointing out that I have 'Option "DPMS"' in my
xorg.conf - once I set that to 'Option "DPMS" "FALSE"' and restart X, I
seem to be in the clear.

The way to test is to mess with my system clock, setting it forward a
couple of hours, and seeing if the screen goes black.  I haven't done
that yet, because the other running programs tend to get upset if you
mess with the clock too often.
--

yours,

William