LDAP and passwords

Darryl Moore darryl-90a536wCiRb3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Thu Jul 30 15:26:28 UTC 2009

Hey folks,

Here is a question for anyone who knows a lot about LDAP.

I have LDAP running great on my network.

I can keep multiple address books
I can keep user passwords and group information
It links in nicely with the workstations so users can log in from any
machine and change their password easily using either a GUI or 'passwd'

The problem I have is with the various clients that run on the workstation.

when a user changes their password, it affects all network services from
address book access to mail servers to workstation logins.

Unfortunately every time they change password they also need to change
their clients. specifically Evolution/Thunderbird and the Firefox Weave
plugin. Is there any way that this can be done automatically so that
changing ones password does not have to become a multistep affair?

Inquiring minds want to know.

cheers,
darryl