ntfs-3g vs. ext2ifs

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Jul 30 13:54:04 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 09:20:53PM -0400, meng wrote:
> I haven't thought of it either :-)
> Thanks for the suggestion, but...
>
> I will go with ext2/3 because my data and movies are OS-independent.
> Sure, I have a few .doc, .odt and .pdf files but either Linux or Windows will handle them.
> Storing data even in proprietary format on ext2/3, I believe, will not be a problem.
> I have a few tax return files in QuickTax.
> I believe if need be, I can transfer the files to Windows and use QuickTax with them.
> I also have the pdf copies of the tax returns.
>
> My data are static archives.
> The movies I delete when I have viewed them, I do not collect movies.
> I use Windows for the odd program that I want/need and also so that I don't become totally Windows-ignorant.
> Word is still useful for a resume :-)
>
> Thanks for the help in making an informed choice.

I just remembered there is another option for filesystem.  How about UDF-plain?

UDF plain is for read/write on any random access media.

Windows supports it, linux supports it, max filesize is 16EiB, supports
unix permissions and user/group, as well as whatever windows wants.

I haven't used it since the time I was using DVD-RAM drives for backups,
but it worked well for that.

UDF: Universal Disk Format.  Sounds like exactly what you are looking for.
And Microsoft doesn't own the spec to it.

--
Len Sorensen