Slowing Linux to a crawl

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jul 29 14:44:33 UTC 2009

2009/7/28 Terrence Enger <tenger-P1ovA8G34VBEfu+5ix1nRw at public.gmane.org>:
> On Tue, 2009-07-28 at 21:57 -0400, Giles Orr wrote:
>> For the BashPrompt HOWTO I suggest a bunch of code snippets that can
>> be incorporated into the prompt.  I used to keep a 25MHz 486DX with
>> 16MB of memory for speed testing using the "time" command so I could
>> comment on the relative speed of the code snippets.  Sadly, I no
>> longer have that machine.  Hell, I don't even have a netbook.  These
>> days even the most ungainly and inefficient piece of bash code
>> executes in statistically insignificant amounts of time.  So the
>> question: is there a simple way to limit a process (Bash) and its
>> subprocesses so it runs very slowly and consistently, and so that
>> "time" inside this process knows about it and produces numbers on a
>> scale I'm looking for?  An emulator?  Some kind of throttling
>> mechanism?  Simple would be nice.  Thanks.
>>

> valgrind?

I'm not familiar with valgrind, but from what little I can tell it
does slow things down but isn't intended for that purpose and there's
not really a controlled amount of slow-down?  Also it looks like it
needs to be involved when you compile stuff and I don't want to have
to recompile bash ... am I correct about this?  Please let me know,
thanks.

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/