OT: Penguin Bootable Linux USB Drive Loads Ubuntu and Benefits World Wildlife Fund

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jul 29 02:05:42 UTC 2009

2009/7/28 Michael Lauzon <mlauzon-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>:
> Active Media Products, makers of the World Wildlife Fund (WWF) Penguin
> and Panda USB drives, has added to its Penguin line with a bootable
> Linux USB (BLU) drive that the company says is compatible with Windows
> 7.
>
> "These bootable Linux USB drives are handy for users who need
> flexibility in an OS, and will be an invaluable tool for disaster
> recovery and system maintenance," Active Media stated in a press
> release (http://www.activemp.com/Press/bootable-linux-penguin-usb-PR.htm).
>
> Designed in the likeness of an emperor penguin with "exacting detail,"
> the new drives come in 1GB, 2GB, 4GB, 8GB, and 16GB capacities, each
> one pre-loaded with the full installation of Ubuntu Linux 9.0.4.,
> which occupies about 700MB of space.
>
> The drives are available now ranging in price from $13 (1GB) to $44
> (16GB), with 5 percent of the retail price donated to World Wildlife
> Fund.
>

> Article:
> http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/penguin_bootable_linux_usb_drive_loads_ubuntu_and_benefits_world_wildlife_fund

That's just awesome.

amazon.com carries this, amazon.ca doesn't seem to.  tigerdirect.ca
seems to be our main Canadian choice.  They carry (only) the 8GB
version for $34 and the 16GB for $61.  Steep for a 16GB stick, but you
get pre-installed Ubuntu and an _awesome_ Penguin stick.

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/
gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org