Slowing Linux to a crawl

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jul 29 01:57:42 UTC 2009

For the BashPrompt HOWTO I suggest a bunch of code snippets that can
be incorporated into the prompt.  I used to keep a 25MHz 486DX with
16MB of memory for speed testing using the "time" command so I could
comment on the relative speed of the code snippets.  Sadly, I no
longer have that machine.  Hell, I don't even have a netbook.  These
days even the most ungainly and inefficient piece of bash code
executes in statistically insignificant amounts of time.  So the
question: is there a simple way to limit a process (Bash) and its
subprocesses so it runs very slowly and consistently, and so that
"time" inside this process knows about it and produces numbers on a
scale I'm looking for?  An emulator?  Some kind of throttling
mechanism?  Simple would be nice.  Thanks.

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/
gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org