ntfs-3g vs. ext2ifs

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Jul 28 21:00:16 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 7:40 AM, Lennart
Sorensen<lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 05:12:15PM -0400, Giles Orr wrote:

>> > The obvious answer would be: Use FAT32.
>> >
>> > Sure you are limited to 4GB files, but that isn't usually a problem.
>>
>> It isn't?  Tell that to a DVD image file.  I don't keep more than one
>> or two lying around at any given time, but one was enough to convince
>> me I didn't need to use FAT32 anymore.
>
> Well certainly video DVDs contain multiple 1GB files, not 4GB+ files.
> Raw iso dumps of a DVD would be bigger.  I suppose you could learn to
> use split and cat.
>
> I would't let windows write to ext2/3, and I don't trust ntfs writing
> from linux, so for exchanging data I will stick to fat32.  For the few
> files over 4GB I can split them.  They don't happen often enough to be
> a problem.
>
> Anyhow, some people claim ntfs-3g works well.
>
> --
> Len Sorensen

"I suppose you could learn to use split and cat"

Lennart, this is the type of response I've pretty much grown used  to
seeing from you, but I really wish that you would take a moment to
consider that not everybody has your particular goals, nor is it
respectful or reflects well upon the list when you make comments in
this manner.

Frankly, it makes the group in general look like the sarcastic
elitists that many have tried to help remove from the reputation of
Linux users or even computer-enthusiasts in general. Can you PLEASE
tone it down a bit.

Many of your opinions are insightful and intelligent. The delivery,
however, could use a bit more tact.

Thank you,

TJA