scp problem

bob 295 icanprogram-sKcZck+fQKg at public.gmane.org
Sat Jul 25 12:41:32 UTC 2009

I've been trying to chase down why SCP has suddenly refused to work between my
two MEPIS Linux boxes here.

I can ssh from either direction.

When I try something like

scp myfile 192.168.1.101:/tmp

it prompts me for the password and then echos the line I put at the bottom of
my .bashrc on the remote box (192.168.1.101) and returns without any copy
happening.

echo $?

returns a 1 which I believe is an error.

If I repeat the command with the -v option I can't see any obvious error,
just that no copy actually happens.    In fact with the -v option on the last
debug line says return code 0 ... which appears to contradict $?.    The
debug stuff says that the command it is sending is "scp -v -t /tmp" ... that
also looks curious to me.

Thanks in advance for your help.

bob