SIP on a Rogers data plan

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Jul 25 03:40:24 UTC 2009

OK, so as I understand it this means you have:

cellular phone with MY5 plan
asterisk box with a local #
VOIP account with a good plan to which the asterisk box is tied

Sounds like a neat idea.

Might I ask who your VOIP provider is, and what rates do you get?
What's your average bill like combining the cost of the VOIP DID and
cellphone?

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 5:10 PM, Alex Kink<alexkink-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I have actually taken a different approach to save some money on mobile
> calls.
>
> I've subscribed to My5 add-on which allows me to call any number as much as
> I want. I've added my asterisk # to My5. Then I've written a basic dialplan
> that allows me to dial into asterisk and place a call out from there. This
> way all my outbound calls free and I only pay for VoIP charges.
>
> On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 4:59 PM, Alex Kink <alexkink-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>>
>> I have to add that the SIP integration in E71 is awesome. There is no
>> clumsy 3rd party applications (read Fring) that you have to use. If you are
>> using SIP over WiFi, and all other links are functioning properly (no
>> latency on ISP, Good SIP provider) then the call quality is superb. Simply
>> dial a number (or select from address book) and select whether to use GSM or
>> SIP. You can also set a default connection, so say if you're at home and you
>> dial a number, it will go through SIP via WiFi and when you're out and
>> about, GSM will be used.
>>

>> On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 4:52 PM, Robert Brockway
>> <robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org> wrote:

>>> Hmm interesting.  It was in fact the E71 I was considering.  I've
>>> certainly seen the latency when using ssh over Rogers 3G network. Sometimes
>>> it is fine, sometimes it is just unusable and the state can change from
>>> minute to minute.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Rob
>>>
>>> --
>>> I tried to change the world but they had a no-return policy
>>> Projected IPv4 exhaustion: http://www.potaroo.net/tools/ipv4/index.html
>>> --
>>> The Toronto Linux Users Group.      Meetings: http://gtalug.org/
>>> TLUG requests: Linux topics, No HTML, wrap text below 80 columns

Tyler Aviss
Systems Support
LPIC/LPIC-2
(778) 890-0942