SIP on a Rogers data plan

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Jul 24 20:38:19 UTC 2009

I have an iPhone with "SipPhone" installed, which works very nicely
when on WiFi. Unfortunately it seems that for programs from the
AppStore, usage of SIP through 3G is disabled, so if you're looking to
use an iPhone for this, you may have trouble finding a working app on
an unmodified phone (I tried the google one on a jailbroken phone but
it just crashed all the time unfortunately).

Depending on your phone, you might be able to avoid SIP-blocking
issues by using a tunnel or VPN?

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 12:51 PM, Robert
Brockway<robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Hi all.  I'm seriously considering buying a new SIP enabled 3G phone
> (without a plan) and making my calls via SIP/RTP.  I already have an
> Asterisk server and will put in my existing data sim.
>
> So has anyone done this?  I saw reports of problems with SIP on the Rogers
> network dating from 2007 and rumours that they were blocking parts of the
> SIP protocol to make calls impossible.
>
> I will be testing this on the weekend by making SIP calls from my laptop
> over 3G but wondered if anyone actually has this working?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Rob
>
> --
> I tried to change the world but they had a no-return policy
> Projected IPv4 exhaustion: http://www.potaroo.net/tools/ipv4/index.html

Tyler Aviss
Systems Support
LPIC/LPIC-2