Coder Girl...

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Thu Jul 23 17:02:12 UTC 2009

Darryl Moore wrote:
> Zbigniew Koziol wrote:
>

>> For  God sake, did you all went insane all around?
>>
>> I am myself a total ignorant on music. I have no idea what rap means. I
>> had no idea that rap, as it seems, is somehow related to blacks.
>>
>> And now you all jump on me like crazy dogs, not even attempting to
>> discuss the merit of my words.
>>
>> All this just support my original thought that this society went too far
>> in brain washing, in wrong direction.
>>
>> zb.
>>

> zb, here is a little light reading for you. It is not that society has
> gone too far. It is that you appear to be woefully and willfully
> ignorant of many things.
>

> http://blogs.usatoday.com/oped/2009/02/blacks-as-monke.html
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hip_hop_music

We have to (and I will) take Zbigniew at face value when he says he did
not intend the comment as a racial slur. Just because others in the past
have used the primate/black reference as a racist insult does not
immediately infer that these particular comments had that in mind.

Having said that, Zbigniew, you deserve every bit the reaction you
receive. If not racist, your comments certainly intended hurt to
*someone*. If you don't understand rap, and don't get why people like
it, that's fine; then leave it alone and let others debate away. But
instead you entered a discussion about something about which you
admitted complete ignorance, as an excuse to engage in namecalling and
pointless negativism.

You just can't post something that is deliberately worded to be
insulting (regardless to who), and then pretend to recoil in shock from
the inevitable consequences. That's not being non-conformist or
attempting a real discussion, that's just being a jerk.

- Evan