Coder Girl...

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Jul 23 12:52:09 UTC 2009

Zbigniew Koziol wrote:
> Rajinder Yadav wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 10:34 PM, Colin
>> McGregor<colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Ran across the following rap music tribute to a woman programmer:
>>>
>>>  http://php-princess.net/2009/07/21/coder-girl/
>>>
>>> All pleasantly warped, twisted, and good fun...
>>>

>>> Colin McGregor
>>>

>> I Love this =) thanks for sharing!!!
>>

> You people there are getting like monkeys.
>
> Sure, I like the idea itself. The intentions are wonderful.
>
> Unfortunately, monkeys only could like rap. The disintegration of moral
> values that goes through within this society has no equal through out
> the globe.
>
> zb,

That is probably one of the most rude and uncalled for posts I've seen
on TLUG.

Whether you were eluding to blacks or not, it is a genre popular with
them and the allusion to "monkeys" is extremely distasteful and ignorant.

As for morals; They are always in flux. 10 years ago in the US, it was
still illegal to even be in a gay relationship in many states. 60 years
ago and it was "immoral" and illegal for interracial marriages. During
World War II it was perfectly moral to intern Japanese Canadians. Before
then it was immoral for women to vote.

Beyond morality, a genre itself can not be held to account because of a
popular opinion expressed by practitioners of it. I used to have no
interest in rap and hip hop until I heard some very good, very positive
songs. Listen to CBC for a while and you'll hear plenty of examples.

I think that nothing shy of a full redaction of those comments and a
sincere acknowledgment of how rude your comments will do.

Madi