OT: Bell reveals internet throttling details to CRTC

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Jul 21 16:11:15 UTC 2009

Mel Wilson wrote:
> Andrej Marjan wrote:
> [ ... ]
>> However I've heard from a number of people with different DSL ISPs
>> that arbitrary encrypted connections get killed, as you've described.
>>
>> So is there a third option -- neither Rogers, nor someone that Bell
>> can sabotage?
>
> I know of nothing, short of reinventing FidoNet with our wireless routers.
>
>     Mel.

Well, that was the idea of mesh networking.

The problem though is that for 95% of people, the shaping means nothing.
They don't care, and they see no reason to worry about it, if they think
of it at all.

Of the last 5% of us who do care, our numbers are too small to do
anything about it at this time. We could get into an arms race of
sorts... We come up with ways to bypass their filters, they lock things
down more (my theory on the SSH tunnels), but at the end of the day
nothing gets fixed.

The problem is the bandwidth needed to compete with cable/DSL while at
the same time being able to afford the infrastructure when the cost is
borne by a fairly small group. As of today, I don't see a capable
technology.

My only hope is that these restrictions will continue to press enough
that eventuall, Internet delivery will have it's own "Linux/FOSS" moment
and someone smarter than me will come up with that new, magical delivery
method that finally works around the big telco's.

Madi