OT: Bell reveals internet throttling details to CRTC

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Jul 21 16:07:03 UTC 2009

Andrej Marjan wrote:
> On July 21, 2009 10:26:00 am Madison Kelly wrote:
>
>> I've been noticing lately (last couple weeks) that at night, nothing in
>> an ssh tunnel works. Or rather, when it does, I am lucky to get 2kbps.
>> scp, rsync, sftp... all fail. Come morning though, it's fine.
>>
>> There is throttling and then there is shutting off. The most maddening
>> is that I am not even a Bell customer. Our ISP though is in the dark as
>> much as out customers are though.
>
> Forgive the stupid question, but is it possible to get DSL service that
> doesn't run through Bell systems?
>
> I'm on Rogers and while it works well enough technically, I've been subjected
> to business practices that are... probably illegal, and I'm looking for an
> alternative.
>
> However I've heard from a number of people with different DSL ISPs that
> arbitrary encrypted connections get killed, as you've described.
>
> So is there a third option -- neither Rogers, nor someone that Bell can
> sabotage?
>
> Thanks.

Short answer, Yes.

Long answer, For now.

There is a service called HSA, High Speed Access. It basically creates a
point to point link over DSL. This in theory should route passed Bell's
traffic shaping, but it still goes over their copper, so nothing is
technically (or legally, it seems), from stopping them from shaping it
in the future.

Problem is, it's pricey.

Madi