OT: Bell reveals internet throttling details to CRTC

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Tue Jul 21 15:51:46 UTC 2009

Andrej Marjan wrote:
> On July 21, 2009 10:26:00 am Madison Kelly wrote:
>
>> I've been noticing lately (last couple weeks) that at night, nothing in
>> an ssh tunnel works. Or rather, when it does, I am lucky to get 2kbps.
>> scp, rsync, sftp... all fail. Come morning though, it's fine.
>>
>> There is throttling and then there is shutting off. The most maddening
>> is that I am not even a Bell customer. Our ISP though is in the dark as
>> much as out customers are though.
>
> Forgive the stupid question, but is it possible to get DSL service that
> doesn't run through Bell systems?
>
> I'm on Rogers and while it works well enough technically, I've been subjected
> to business practices that are... probably illegal, and I'm looking for an
> alternative.
>
> However I've heard from a number of people with different DSL ISPs that
> arbitrary encrypted connections get killed, as you've described.
>
> So is there a third option -- neither Rogers, nor someone that Bell can
> sabotage?

Primus: iirc if you are in an area where they have their own dslam they
don't behave like bell with their shaping (though they will prioritize
voip/streaming). It is hard to know about your specific area though
since Primus also have a wholesale arrangement with Bell for areas where
they don't own their own equipment.

Jamon