tiny firewall boxes

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Jul 20 22:28:06 UTC 2009

| From: Tyler Aviss <tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>

[Please don't top-post.]

| Actually, one thing I've been wondering was whether anyone has
| experience with card-intended filesystems.
| It seems the more popular ones such as YAFFS2 or JAFFS2 require a
| special interface to the flash rather than just a cardreader, etc (or
| perhaps I'm just reading it wrong) which functions in block mode.

That is my understanding.  Ignore them.

| In my case I'm just using ext3

Mark Lord recommends ext2 over ext3 for this application.  He does not
yet use ext4 (it is pretty new); I don't remember what he thought of
ext4 and other new filesystems (eg. nilfs) for flash.

Using a union filesystem, with a ramdisk on top, reduces wear (and
persistence).  This is what Mark described at Linux Symposium.