tiny firewall boxes

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Jul 20 20:40:33 UTC 2009

Actually, one thing I've been wondering was whether anyone has
experience with card-intended filesystems.
It seems the more popular ones such as YAFFS2 or JAFFS2 require a
special interface to the flash rather than just a cardreader, etc (or
perhaps I'm just reading it wrong) which functions in block mode.

I haven't been able to find much support for flash-on-block devices,
but it seems to me that with SSD's and flash-storage becoming more
popular, questions of filesystems in relation to access times,
data-integrity, and data-wearing become important.

In my case I'm just using ext3 as I still have need/use for unix file
permissions, but I doubt that it's a great choice. Googling seems to
show that most people seem to recommend just using FAT or possibly
NTFS for compatability, but from a permissions angle that's not so
useful.

Anyone else have some knowledge along the areas of flash storage and
filesystems? In my case I have an EEE with an internal SSD, and my
user storage which automounts on login (pam-mount+UnionFS is AWESOME)
from a flash card.

On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 2:53 PM, D. Hugh Redelmeier<hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> | From: Tyler Aviss <tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>
>
> | IDE->CF adaptors work nicely too.
>
> | The adaptors are on ebay for peanuts, but one has to beware the
> | female/male pinnings as some have to plug into the motherboard, while
> | others run on a standard IDE cable (sometimes you may need a
> | 3.5"->2.5" HDD adaptor too for cable size).
>
> Some adapters do DMA and some don't.  You want DMA (costs no more).
>
> Some CF cards do DMA and some don't.  You probably want DMA (may cost
> more).
>
> Some CF cards have SLC (single-level cells) and some have MLC
> (multi-).  SLC is more expensive, faster, and allows way more write
> cycles.
>
> Wear-leveling capabilities of CF cards are not documented but matter.
>
> Mark Lord gave a nice presentation at the Linux Symposium about using
> a RAM disk to speed up this kind of setup.  During his talk, I
> actually dropped his scripts onto my notebook running Ubuntu 9.04.
> They worked with no tweeking (except for adding a grub entry).
>  http://www.linuxsymposium.org/2009/view_abstract.php?content_key=72
>
> The proceedings should appear online soon (this was expected a few
> days ago so I might be looking the wrong place). Since this was a
> tutorial it might not be included.

Tyler Aviss
Systems Support
LPIC/LPIC-2