odd Internet experience?

Peter plpeter2006-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Jul 19 21:55:04 UTC 2009

Many websites use lots of JavaScript and IE has its own way of handling this. If
you want to see raw speed try Opera, it is recognized as the fastest browser out
there. Many open source applications running on windows run much faster than the
native m$ libraries based ones likely because the libraries of the open source
programs are less bloated and make fewer stupid unneeded 'microsoft network'
'microsoft drm' 'microsoft whatever the cat brought in this week' lookups. A
notorious one is the 'image view' application which takes as long to open a
picture as it takes gimp to load all its extensions and open 10 or more
images.

For example it is notorious that certain registry entries made in a large
registry will slow down IE and Word startup to the point where the system
appears frozen for several minutes. The 'interesting' waiting hourglass that
windows users can admire for several minutes upon logon has a similar
explanation.

Explaining this 'normal' state to users after reinstalling and cleaning the
system is part of any windows technicians salesmanship, and part of the reason
why I don't do that except for relatives, and only when I have to (I have a PC
repairer, soft and hard - to component level, diploma since 1994, but I took
it to certify my already old knowledge at the time).

  Peter