Anyone observed content change through Rogers?

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Jul 17 16:48:23 UTC 2009

On 17/07/09 11:33 AM, Madison Kelly wrote:
> Check the source and see if there are any comments that might indicate
> Roger's fiddling.
>
> They already fiddle with pages to warn about bandwidth usage, so they
> have the tech, and they hijack unresolvable domain names and forward to
> their search engine... So nothing would surprise me.

That hijacking of name resolution failures is pretty sleazy and I let
them know it. Lately, they've been having lots of transient DNS failures
on of all things, Google properties. If their crappy search results page
turned up anything useful, it would be one thing but that it returns
garbage is adding further insult to injury. Imagine the potential for
malfeasance when they can make sure that one out of every ten Google
searches results in a "Can't find Google" result and ends up displaying
a (useless) Rogers/Yahoo "search" page.

Anyway, my solution to this issue has been to point my IPCop machine at
two DNS servers on completely networks at colo facilities in Toronto and
Chicago that we use. My web browsing is much faster and name resolution
failures are no longer being hijacked. It was silly of me not to do it
sooner. I guess I reached my breaking point the other day when
track-hacks.org would fail 50% of the time with the Rogers DNS but would
be consistently reachable from machines in the above-mentioned colo
facilities.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay