Routing emails through non-gateway... how?

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Jul 17 12:31:08 UTC 2009

William Park wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> If my default gateway is on eth0, how do I route all email through
> another interface, say eth1 or ppp0 ?
>
> Any pointer or keywords would be appreciated.

Routing is based on IP address, not protocol.  If the mail server is via
eth1 or ppp0, you'd configure your routing for the server's IP address.
Also, the defautl gateway is for all addresses that are not otherwise
defined.

Perhaps if you were to better describe what you're trying to do, we
might be able to set you straight.