Applications Dock functionality (launcher, lister, switcher combined), no eye candy required?

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jul 15 20:00:52 UTC 2009

2009/7/15 S P Arif Sahari Wibowo <arifsaha-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>:
> I am looking for an application which can function as applications dock
> (combined functions of applications launcher, lister and switcher), similar
> to OS X dock, but I don't need the eye candy (transparency, 3d effect, icon
> enlargement, bouncing icon, etc.) (in fact, when I use OS X, I set its dock
> visual effect to minimum). I actually prefer low weight low resources
> application, something like WindowMaker's application dock (not its widget
> dock) but works well with other desktop environment (i.e. can do drag &
> drop). It should also available in various distro, but specifically at
> present I need it to run in Fedora.
>
> I tried Docker, but when I run it nothing show up in the screen. I tried
> SimDock, but it has several issues (does not seems to show an application is
> running, has errors, does not work well with GNOME). I tried GNOME Do (to
> get its Docky) but it has error (Failed to contact configuration server)
> that I still debug. Avant WM and CairoDock seems to be too heavy weight
> (need composited screen).

I currently use "dmenu" (which is absolutely not a dock, but an
excellent text-based menu) and, in a more dock-like category, ROX's
panel.  ROX requires some other packages, I don't know if you'll
consider it "heavy."  (http://roscidus.com/desktop/ ... it works fine
with other window managers than their preferred one.)

You can also take a look at:

http://www.gilesorr.com/wm/helpers.html

I maintain this (occasionally) to go with my Window Managers list, and
several of the apps on that list are various types of panels.  You're
right: many of them don't work well.

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/