Sending information to a cell phone programmatically

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Jul 14 20:43:17 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 4:27 PM, William O'Higgins
Witteman<william.ohiggins-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I would like to get my computer to send me occasional updates to my cell
> phone.  I don't really care how, but it does not have a data service -
> no email or web service enabled.
>
> Ideally, I would like to have my computer send me a text message.  Does
> anyone have any experience with such thing?  Thanks.

See the Email-to-SMS gateway list
http://www.mutube.com/projects/open-email-to-sms/gateway-list/

The email address to use depends on your cellular provider...

Note that the usage is Rather Clumsy, in Rogers' implementation.  You
have to reply to their server in order to accept each message.  Down
this road, surcharges for sending more than your "free" quota of
messages lie...
Milton Berle  - "If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door." -
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/m/milton_berle.html