Kubuntu x64

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Mon Jul 13 23:49:39 UTC 2009

Rajinder Yadav wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 4:41 PM, Lennart
> Sorensen<lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> Cross compiling is pretty much a pain in the ass.
>>
>> Now you can simply create a 32bit chroot environment for compiling for
>> 32bit systems and run them using 'linux32 chroot'  That way an
>> amd64/x86_64 system appears as an i686 to the software being compiled.
>
> I trust that cross compiling is a pain. I am still trying to
> understand what is required to have multiple GCC version and making
> sure they compile and link with the proper GCC version. The GNU GCC
> page is pretty lame when it comes to telling you how to do this.
>
> It's just that I have 4G of RAM and I am itching to make it all
> available, on x32 I only see 3G.

"export CC=/usr/bin/gcc-4.x" where x is the version you want to use for
the package you are compiling.

For 4gb+ on an x86 system, you want a pae enabled kernel. I don't know
how 32bit Ubuntu does it, but I'd imagine their linux-image package has
a server version that has pae extensions compiled in.

Jamon