Kubuntu x64

Rajinder Yadav devguy.ca-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Jul 13 23:21:30 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 4:41 PM, Lennart
Sorensen<lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 01:00:31AM -0400, Rajinder Yadav wrote:
>> thanks for the feedback. As a precaution I have decided to make
>> Fedora11 x32 my main Linux development OS for now. Although fedora11
>> upgrades keep crapping out for me!
>>
>> I looked into Kubuntu x64 as a way to stay on top of Linux 64bit
>> development, but I have to admit it will only server as OS I use to
>> learn about 64bit C++ development.
>>
>> I was planning on upping the anti about developing a Linux from
>> scratch by using the 64bit Linux to cross compile for a 32bit Linux. I
>> will have to come back to this once I get a good feel for doing things
>> in the 32bit environment =)
>
> Cross compiling is pretty much a pain in the ass.
>
> Now you can simply create a 32bit chroot environment for compiling for
> 32bit systems and run them using 'linux32 chroot'  That way an
> amd64/x86_64 system appears as an i686 to the software being compiled.
>
> --
> Len Sorensen
> --

I trust that cross compiling is a pain. I am still trying to
understand what is required to have multiple GCC version and making
sure they compile and link with the proper GCC version. The GNU GCC
page is pretty lame when it comes to telling you how to do this.

It's just that I have 4G of RAM and I am itching to make it all
available, on x32 I only see 3G.

--
Kind Regards,
Rajinder Yadav