Kubuntu x64

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Jul 13 20:39:35 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jul 12, 2009 at 11:22:35PM -0400, Paul King wrote:
> Since the acquisition of my new 64-bit machine, I have found that with such
> firepower, you get stability in Linux all right. Now if only they can write
> software for it. Much of what I wanted in Linux didn't have 64-bit versions.
> Even on Firefox, it was some time before any flash applets would work, once
> they were written.
>
> This problem was compounded by the fact that I recently purchased a new HP
> multifunction color laser printer, which didn't work in Linux that well. In
> addition, my 1 TB external drive (with accomodata firewire/usb housing) is not
> recognised, and Ubuntu has been notoriously slow with updates on this
> architecture. When I was using 32-bit, not logging on for a month would mean
> that there were a myriad of updates waiting for my approval. Doing the same
> thing now in the 64-bit system would yield nothing or very little in the way of
> updates. To date, I have a 64-bit OS, with a blank (icon-less) desktop since it
> seems nothing will connect to it.
>
> We have entered a new "low phase" in Linux: the long wait for apps to run in
> the new 64-bit architecture. I think this happened before, when the
> architecture first moved to 32-bit.

Well linux was always at least 32bit.  Certainly windows has (and still
has) issues with old 16bit code.  Windows in 64bit mode can't run 16bit
windows code at all (and gives a very cryptic error message if you try).

Now certainly my linux system in 64bit mode has working flash, epson
printer works fine, usb driver works fine, etc.  Really no problems
at all.  Pretty much the only 32bit only software left causing any issues
would be proprietary closed source stuf like acroread and such and you
can pretty much do without those.

--
Len Sorensen