Kubuntu x64

Rajinder Yadav devguy.ca-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Jul 13 05:00:31 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jul 12, 2009 at 11:22 PM, Paul King<sciguy-Ja3L+HSX0kI at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Since the acquisition of my new 64-bit machine, I have found that with such
> firepower, you get stability in Linux all right. Now if only they can write
> software for it. Much of what I wanted in Linux didn't have 64-bit versions.
> Even on Firefox, it was some time before any flash applets would work, once
> they were written.
>
> This problem was compounded by the fact that I recently purchased a new HP
> multifunction color laser printer, which didn't work in Linux that well. In
> addition, my 1 TB external drive (with accomodata firewire/usb housing) is not
> recognised, and Ubuntu has been notoriously slow with updates on this
> architecture. When I was using 32-bit, not logging on for a month would mean
> that there were a myriad of updates waiting for my approval. Doing the same
> thing now in the 64-bit system would yield nothing or very little in the way of
> updates. To date, I have a 64-bit OS, with a blank (icon-less) desktop since it
> seems nothing will connect to it.
>
> We have entered a new "low phase" in Linux: the long wait for apps to run in
> the new 64-bit architecture. I think this happened before, when the
> architecture first moved to 32-bit.
>
> Paul King

Paul,

thanks for the feedback. As a precaution I have decided to make
Fedora11 x32 my main Linux development OS for now. Although fedora11
upgrades keep crapping out for me!

I looked into Kubuntu x64 as a way to stay on top of Linux 64bit
development, but I have to admit it will only server as OS I use to
learn about 64bit C++ development.

I was planning on upping the anti about developing a Linux from
scratch by using the 64bit Linux to cross compile for a 32bit Linux. I
will have to come back to this once I get a good feel for doing things
in the 32bit environment =)

Kind Regards,
Rajinder Yadav